Saturday, January 13, 2007

Calling a Spade a spade.

Former President Carter is coming under fire for his recently published book. You can read about the controversy here

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I'm a fervent supporter of Israel, and would almost go so far as to recognize their status as the Chosen People. And they've been through a hell of a lot over that last few centuries at the hands of Christians and Muslims (read: mainly Christians). They've a rather a lot to be cranky about.

However I think that Jimmy is right when he calls Israel's approach to the Palestinian situation apartheid. Sometimes saying something, although perhaps brutally insensitive but true, is the right thing.

Everyone, including the righteous (perhaps especially the righteous), is going to screw up sometimes and do horrible crappy things to other people. However I think that when a figure arises from the chaos and says "This is a horribly shitty thing you're doing; Shame on you for knowing better and not doing better!" I think that they should be respected.

Again, I really like Israel. AND I understand their baggage that's led them to this decision. However that doesn't make it any less wrong. I congratulate and thank Carter for his candor, and willingness to say something on the issue.



As is typical there's a gut level "Not me. How dare you" reaction to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home