Sunday, October 08, 2006

Worth getting out of bed for!


So it was a complete surprise to me when this evening's service began at ECY (episcopal church at yale) when our clergy processed and a distinguished looking gent in Anglican Dress processed with our clergy. I wondered who he could possibly be.

During the Gloria I thought, Holy Sh*t, that's Peter Gomes. I wonder if he's going to give the sermon.

Sure enough, Peter Gomes was indeed the speaker this evening. It wasn't planned but it worked out!

Just in case you need a refresher, Peter Gomes is the current chaplain at Harvard who wrote a text a few years back entitled "The Good Book". It was for me, a work that allowed me to renounce the bibliolatry of my upbringing and appreciate scripture for the first time.

So it's time to go to the bookstore and buy a copy if you've not already. As for me, I'm going to be rereading it this evening!

Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Sheppard said...

I am so jealous - The Good Book is on my personal list of most influential books to have changed my life. I'd love for you to give a reader's digest version of some of the high points!

9:03 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

I really liked that book too. Epley was the one who told me to check it out. The book helped give a body to the thoughts that were already gnawing at my mind about the narrow interpetations of scripture that just bothered me.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home