Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Entrance Exams....

...were today. 4.5 hours of absolute mind numbing musical regurgitation.

However there are a few touchstones of sanity...

* at one point during the Music History exam, a loud siren began on the same pitch as the final chord of one of the "Identify " pieces. I'm pretty certain that the piece in question was a Mozart Concerto for Horn and Ambulance.

* at one point during the Theory exam the phrase "Identify the following" was used immediately before a difficult to read diminished 7th chord. For those of you who never had a theory exam with S. Emig, this will make no sense.

* at one point during the Dictation exam the phrase "fuck" could be audibly heard from several people at the same time.

* The two idiot soprani (obviously from the opera program) routinely turned in their sheets with NOTHING written down on them. NOTHING! I mean there's something to be said for an occasional guess. I mean I'm a moron singer, and I'll probably get stuck in the remedial class with the ditzy soprani, but c'mon! I mean you could've at least hazarded a guess.

* at one point during the history exam I got to show off my knowledge of the dates of Thomas Tallis, Hector Berlioz, Henry Purcell, and Giacomo Meyerbeer. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that got Tallis' dates.

All in all, a good long day. I'm going into these exams expecting NOTHING, and I expect I'll get from them what I put in!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaques Cartier said...

Although that doesn't fit the model, I think that I can make that fit into a Chant in Mode IV (ferial). Smart thing that I am.....

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home