Monday, June 20, 2005

Countertenors and Texas All State

Ok.....new controversy, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

TMEA has opted not to accept an audition from a young man, a countertenor, for the Texas All State Youth Choir. Their rationale is that they do not accept auditions from female tenors on the basis that it isn't healthy singing.

The text of one of the articles can be found at http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/states/texas/northeast/11919013.htm

You'll have to sign in
USERNAME: bogusname@yahoo.com
PASSWORD: bogusname1

Even more details can be found at www.acapellanews.com


Let the debate begin.........I'll post my thoughts after you've all had a chance to give it a read.....I just might surprise you with an unusual opinion!

4 Comments:

Blogger Herr Vogler said...

I think this is merely another example of educators standing in the way of education and individual achievement. I suppose, in order to not hurt anyone else's feelings, we can't have anyone do anything that's extraordinary or stands out!

I think there were a few countries that had this "no one should stand out" attitude toward the arts in the middle of the last century. I'm not sure, though, because I've never been able to speak or understand Russian!

The kid should be allowed to sing. It's that simple.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jaques Cartier said...

Good...good.....more comments??

9:57 PM  
Blogger Herr Vogler said...

It also occurs to me that we should try a different situation. If this were a girl wanting to play football with the boys in Texas, as long as she was skilled, there would be a huge public outcry about this. But because it's a boy singing "unnaturally" then it's no big deal.

Now, since it's become painfully obvious in the last five years that your average Texan isn't terribly bright (read: POTUS) your average "educator" would claim that the two are completely different situations when, in fact, they are one and the same.

Can I get a witness???

12:03 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Fuck Texas.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home